Focused on engineering productivity, workflow automation, and operational efficiency. I strive to automate away repetitive tasks and streamline engineering workflows by providing simple solutions to complex tasks.
Senior Backend Engineer
While at LiveSchool my goal was to improve our engineering workflows. I focused on automation and operational efficiency of the CI/CD stack and its supporting services.
Built infrastructure for managing build pipelines. Implemented Config and Secret management; killed our self hosted Jenkins cluster by moving to Github Actions for builds and versioned artifacts.
Developed tooling to automate infrastructure operations. Created a Platform with VPN that’s home to our engineering tools and an Admin Panel to manage environments; infra managed with Terraform; reduced cost and maintenance by transitioning to Serverless architecture.
- Reduced end of year School Rollovers from >60 minute execution times to <10 minutes by porting PHP into serverless Node and optimizing the database to better support the Rollover queries. Implemented a UI for Rollovers that gives immediate feedback on the status of past and currently processing Rollover operations.
- Implemented config management using confd and AWS SSM. Containers now hydrate configs on startup. Managed IAM Roles and Policies via Terraform to control Parameter Store access.
- Switching environments at LiveSchool was time consuming so I researched what features engineering used most, ported those into the Admin Panel that lives within the engineering Platform, and provided access across all environments so that engineers can quickly pivot across environments.
Senior DevOps Consultant
Worked onsite within a team of four in Dallas, TX to help guide an organization into AWS. The team worked with engineers and managers to discover shortcomings and implement both cultural and technical changes to ease the transition into AWS.
- Created a generic Jenkins build process that gave AppDev teams a path to follow while migrating their applications and builds. This process handled static code analysis, unit & integration tests, tagging & versioning, and pushing artifacts to private registries.
- Demonstrated how one could integrate Docker into everyday workflows by having your application containerized. These demonstrations paired well with showing off the new Jenkins pipeline by simultaneously demonstrating automatic builds & tests mixed with ready to deploy artifacts.
Operated within the Developer Services team in a 100% remote organization. I worked on a team of around 35 engineers while acting as product owner of the CLI and SDK’s for the Trebuchet Platform as a Service on Kubernetes. My focus was entirely on simplifying developer workflows through automation.
- Helped create “one-click” deployment CLI (Splat) which provided an entry point into app orchestration by allowing users to generate custom application footprints by choosing their tech stack. Splat supported several stacks such as Python, JS, GO, and Ruby as well as in-memory, nosql, and/or relational databases.
- The CLI for the Trebuchet Platform was automatically generated from Swagger specs. This automation allowed me to quickly update the CLI based on upstream service changes. Each service that wanted to be consumed via the CLI could add a snippet in their build process that would trigger the CLI to be rebuilt and consume any changes done to the service interface.
Consultant (Front End)
Focused on front end development with React.
- Development lead for new features. I was in charge of redesigning old components to new emitter patterns. The application followed the Flux pattern which employs a catch all mentality. We decided an explicit event based approach is a better fit for our purposes. I was lead on new development with this pattern.
Senior Software Engineer
Designed and implemented application infrastructure using AWS. The infrastructure would automatically handle scaling, backups of logs and data, and daily reports.
- Created multi-tenant API in Node.js. This API is in charge of handling every transaction from mobile and web apps. It sits on top of Postgres, Redis, and RabbitMQ.
Senior Software Engineer - Consultant
Senior Software Engineer
Created several GIS solutions using ESRI & Mapbox
Designed and implemented high throughput SMS gateway to simultaneously process millions of messages